Sunday, April 20, 2014

Jimi is fine

This week I found out that I've been nominated for a Hugo Award (for my short story "Selkie Stories Are for Losers"), and also for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer. I am thrilled about this. I'm especially happy because this year was my last chance to get nominated for the Campbell, and because I share categories with writers I admire.

There has been plenty of talk about this year's Hugo ballot already, and there will be more. But I want you to forget all that for a moment and look at Jimi. Jimi is reading some science fiction. I don't know what year this picture was taken, but the book he's reading was published in 1965. What was going on in SF fandom in the late sixties? I don't know, but in this picture, Jimi is fine with it. Jimi is not bothered by any shenanigans. Jimi is in his zone with his book and he is totally fine.

look at how fine Jimi is

I'm taking my cue from Jimi. (In terms of reading SF, and maybe art--not down with the drugs and brawling.) Ultimately, speculative fiction is about words and worlds. It's a pretty resilient cultural form. It's going to keep growing and changing along with the communities who love it.

We're going to be fine, you guys. Peace.

6 comments:

Barry King said...

That seems to be Brian Aldiss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Aldiss) 1965 PB edition. I'm almost tempted to pay the £2.63 + shipping on eBay to find out what Jimi's reading about.

Sofia said...

It is! I'm tempted to do the same thing!

Recently, somebody told me they saw a presentation about JH & SF. Apparently the trunk of his car was full of SF books. <3

inthebrake said...

That photo is brilliant. For anyone who's interested here's the Table of Contents (this is the book, despite the cover shown, as can be seen from clicking on "more covers":
http://www.penguinsciencefiction.org/04.html#1638

I have to warn you that once you start looking at that site you won't be able to stop, it's a load of beautiful Penguin SF.

Sofia said...

Nice! You know Jimi reading some JG Ballard.

Randy Byers said...

Love the Jimi/SF connection. One bit of trivia is that in 1965 the Worldcon (where the Hugos are presented) was in London, just as it is this year. So I checked Wikipedia, which says Jimi didn't move to London until 1966, otherwise I was going to speculate that he had actually sneaked into the Worldcon incognito ...

Sofia said...

Wow… thanks for that!